Monday, July 9, 2007

But is it Historically Accurate?

My mom was cleaning stuff out of their house (FINALLY) recently, and she said she came across something I had written when I as little. She said I would get a kick out of it, so she mailed it to me. Here it is, a report on George Washington that I wrote in 1979. (The spelling errors are as is. Hey, I was only 8)

George Washington was born on February 22nd 1732. He went to lots of battles. George was a brave man. The land use too belong to England. But the french wanted our land. And they had a fight. And the french lost the fight. And the English won the fight. George was in that fight. He helped the English win. One day he left his wife and kids because he had to go to the Revolutionary War. The war was betwen England and Amerrca.

Riveting stuff, huh?? When my mom showed it to my dad, he said, “Well, you can tell she wanted to be a writer.” I don’t know if you could make that conclusion based on this report. I can picture myself writing it out with one of those huge pencils we had at school, trying to be careful with my printing and staying on the lines. Is that a lower case b? Could be, could be an o too close to an l.
But my dad was right. In between wanting to be a movie star or a ballerina (even though I never took lessons and am as graceful as a giraffe in roller skates), I was always writing something. Little stories or parts of stories; I even wrote a whole play when I was in the 6th grade. Snow White and the One Dwarf, which was acted out brilliantly by myself, my sister Jen and our friend Marie.
Fast forward to today, and in addition to magazine articles, I still write little stories and parts of stories, always planning to flush them out. I have notebooks full of half thought-out plots and ideas. When an idea gets in my head, I have to get it down on paper before I can do anything else. It’s in my blood, and I love it. And I have finally taken my friend Paige’s advice and set up my very own blog to hopefully write even more stuff that people might read. It’ll be a mix of different things, and I hope you like it. I promise to do my subjects more justice than poor George and all his fights.

No comments: