Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bah Humbug

I love Christmas. I do. I love the smell of my live tree. I love getting and sending cards. My stockings are hung! BUT, some people take it too far, and I have to take issue.

1. People who put wreaths on the front of their car. I hate you even more if it lights up, or if you decorate the luggage rack on top.

2. Christmas ornaments as accessories. Those hooks are for the tree, not your ear lobes. Clothing should not light up. Neither should earrings.

3. Those blow-up things people have in their yards. They are just tacky and creepy. Especially the snow globe ones. Also those light-up reindeer that nod their heads. I add this one only because when I went home to my parents in January, they still had theirs in the yard. Because they were frozen into the ground. Which leads me to...

4. When it's over, it's over. There is no need for Christmas lights and decorations to be up past New Years.

5. The holiday letter. You know the one. People are way too busy to write out cards (just sign your name like I do. It's quick and easy), but they have plenty of time to type up what everyone did since the last holiday letter. In minute detail. If we're friends, I already know what you've been up to all year, and it's probably not any more interesting than what everyone else does on a daily basis. I think my parents still get a card from a couple in Canada who have two kids that are my age. Each year, the letter would brag and brag as those two kids got more and more advanced, and it became hilarious to get it every year. I am honestly surprised that one of them hasn't discovered the cure for cancer, and the other is not the prime minister of Canada.

6. It's a Wonderful Life. I hate that movie with the passion of a thousand suns. What is it, 6 hours long? SO BORING!!! And I can suspend my belief system to accept that Hugh Grant was elected prime minister of Great Britain, but I still can't believe that without the love of a big tall geeky Jimmy Stewart, good-time Donna Reed would be a timid spinster librarian. Please. She would have snagged the captain of the football team if she wanted to! Give us girls a little credit, Frank Capra.

7. People who are all up in arms about "Merry Christmas." Honestly, it's just the December way to say "Have a nice day." No one is trying to be offensive or disrespectful. If you don't believe in Christmas, that is fine. Just smile and nod and say, "Same to you." Because no matter what you believe, it's important that we all try to have a nice day.

OK, that's it. Back to baking cookies and watching Christmas in Connecticut.
Merry Christmas!!!!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I totally agree with the vehicle decorations, it is just silly. However, I do have a blinky necklace and I would have the big globe in the front yard if Ted didn't dislike it as much as you do. =)

Anonymous said...

Oh but this time of year gives me the mean reds...