Thursday, January 24, 2008

I don't want to jinx it, but I love my job


When I was unhappy at previous jobs, my mom would say that no one likes their job. I thought that was such a sad thing to say. Why would you do something that takes up the majority of your time, life and energy and not enjoy it? But then again, my mom taught math to high school students for 40 years. I guess she was kind of speaking for herself more than anything. In my case, I don't think it was the job so much as where I did the job, because I have worked in pretty miserable places for the love of my craft. BUT, even working for slave drivers and sexist, bigoted insane people, I must say that the profession I have chosen pretty much rocks.

I have had the opportunity to meet and/or interview so many different people from all across the spectrum, from entertainers and sports figures to former First Lady Roslynn Carter, a woman I greatly admire. I even shook hands with Jimmy himself (and I've got the picture to prove it). I had dinner with Lou Holtz, and went to the sets of Days of Our Lives and Guiding Light for face-to-face interviews. I've talked to just about every designer on Trading Spaces plus one of the Queer Eyes. I tried not to gush like an ass when I talked to hockey star Joe Sakic and sucked up to former New York Governor Mario Cuomo by telling him I had seen him speak at my college, a SUNY school. He beamed and said, "You got a good education, didn't you?"

And then I moved to Florida.

I've said before that I think this was the job I have been looking for all along. I don't want to jinx it though. You never know what could happen tomorrow. But, it's been interesting and exciting since day one. Because on day one, my new boss asked me two things. "Do you have a passport?" Yes. "Do you want to go to Grenada?" OH, YES! I knew right then and there that things were going to be exciting and fun, but still challenging.

And then she threw me into the deep end of the pool.

"I want you to do a profile feature for the January issue on a prominent Palm Beacher." I was ready. Then the other shoe dropped.

"Donald Trump."

I can honestly say that the prospect of interviewing The Donald made me more nervous than interviewing anyone. He's very intimidating, and if it went bad and he didn't like the piece, I was petrified he'd hold up the magazine on the Today Show and curse my name for the world and my parents to see. Plus, I wanted to do a good job, obviously, for my first big assignment. I almost threw up before the interview. Thank God it was over the phone. He was actually very gracious and professional, and the interview went well. Plus, his office told me they were pleased with how it came out, so yay!

My love for the job has just bloomed from there. I've tried not to stumble like an ass while interviewing Art Garfunkel (and fight the urge to ask if he could be bought for $1 million like the Barenaked Ladies claim), and I didn't flash my boobs at Vince Neil when we shot him for the March issue (I've seen the videos, I know that's what he's used to). But, it was the day before my birthday, so I did have to get a picture with him.

Plus, I get to experience different restaurants in the area and collect fun and funky decor items to be featured. And every month, I get to plan a party. Granted it's a fictional party, but I get to plan it, and money is no object! And there isn't a sexist, bigoted insane person to be found anywhere in my new office.

And just to drive home the awesomeness, this afternoon my phone rang, and the caller ID said Jonathan Adler!

SQUEAL!! (It was actually Simon Doonan calling for a piece I am doing for April, but still, SQUEAL!!)

See Mom, people can like their jobs. They can even love them, and thoroughly enjoy the fun they have doing it, and the people they meet along the way.

(photo by Michael Price)

1 comment:

Paige said...

YAY!!! You deserve all this that's coming your way. Good for you.

On an unrelated, but somewhat related note, I didnt realize Michael Price shot this photo. He is an amazing photog, just truly breathtakingly amazing.