Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Divided We Fall

This morning's CNN.com poll question scared me. Well, the question itself didn't scare me, but the results chilled me to the bone. The question read, "Democrats, if your choice is not the nominee, what will you do?" The choices were: Won't vote, will vote for the nominee, and will vote for John McCain. When I checked the little dot to say I will vote for the nominee, 45% agreed with me, and 41% said they would vote for John McCain.

WHAT?!?!

At the risk of sounding offensive, that is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever heard. I don't understand how someone could abandon their belief system and ideals like that. Why? Because you don't like his former pastor or the situation with her husband? No wonder we, as a party, can't get our shit together. We don't stand together. And we are easily distracted by non-issues.

I don't want to tell people how to vote, but I would think, at the very least, you should vote for the person who believes in what you believe in.

If you marched on Washington for pro-choice, why would you vote for a man who is pro-life, and who just today vowed to nominate the most conservative judges he can to federal positions, which almost guarantees Roe v. Wade would be in jeopardy?

If you're against the war, why would you vote for a man who said we could be in Iraq for 100 more years?

If you think the last 8 years have been hell and can't wait for the nightmare to be over, why would you vote for the man drinking W's Kool-Aid?

If the economy is hitting you hard (and who isn't being hit hard, oh, that's right, the rich), why would you vote for the man who 1. is married to a woman worth more money than I can count and 2. has admitted that he knows nothing about economics?

I am supporting Obama. But if Hillary ends up being the nominee, I will gladly vote for her. (If my vote counts. I do live in Florida after all.) They are really not that much different. They do have different ideas on things, but they have the same ultimate goal, and that is reclaim this country and help the people that live in it, and to make it great again. Make it a country to be admired around the world. Because, news flash, the rest of the world doesn't think we're all that great anymore.

USAToday put together a little match game that asks basic questions about where you stand on the issues, and matches you with the candidates that stand with you or not. Here is the link. Check it out, and really look into your heart and mind and see where your ideals and beliefs are. And vote them.

This is a historic election. We have a chance to do something great. We have the chance to stand up and say, "No more!" to the war-mongering, money-grubbing, Bible-thumping (hello, separation of church and state) Republican party. But we can't do it separately. We can only do it together. We have to stand together as a party and as a people. It's the only way we can actually make a stand and make a change.

1 comment:

Paige said...

"If my vote counts. I do live in Florida, after all."

That made me laugh out loud.