Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My boy, George

I feel I should explain my back-to-back George Michael tribute. As some of you know, I love me some 80s music. And I love going to concerts. Growing up, I didn't get to see my favorite bands, because they all went to legitimate venues in Syracuse and NYC. We residents of Bingo-town got to choose from Ratt, Poison, Great White, Motley Crue. It was hair band central. Oh, and Cinderella, because the drummer is from there (my mom was his math teacher). AND, being that my mom was a teacher, or because she was over protective or was just a great big buzz kill (sorry Jan, but...), I didn't get to see my favorite bands in their heyday. I saw no Madonna. I saw no Duran Duran or Prince. And I didn't see Wham!. I did get to see Night Ranger and Starship, but only after Jan did her research to see if Night Ranger was a "drug" band. Funny how her research didn't lead her to the conclusion that Starship used to be Jefferson Starship, which used to be Jefferson Airplane and that song wasn't really about Alice in Wonderland.

But I digress.

I was lucky enough to move to a big city that welcomed all kinds of bands, especially those of the retro variety (I even got to see Night Ranger a couple more times). I got to see Madonna finally (TWICE), and my friend Paige and I were present for the true and complete five-member reunion tour of Duran Duran. I hung my Duran Duran poster up behind my desk at work for a week before the show (Yeah, I still have it). It was at the Tabernacle, which is tiny, and filled to capacity with screaming 30-something women. My ears rang for days and I loved every second of it! And then we saw his Royal Purpleness. In a word, it was incredible. Every hair on my whole body was standing up. For a short, skinny little man, he is a sexy mother fucker. It's all in the attitude.

And now, my 80s circle will be complete, because George Michael is touring this summer! And I bought my tickets to the show! I am going to see George Michael! Laugh if you want, but I was not the only one who squealed like a teenager when the tour was announced (Paige. Amy. Maybe Chris.). Now if only I still had THAT poster... (JAN!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Mom investigated bands to find out whether they were drug bands? Oh that is hilarious.

Who is your date to George Michael?