Saturday, June 20, 2009

Taco Kisses for my Chris...

Well, taco kisses for everyone. Fish tacos that is, courtesy of Martha.

Sorry. Whenever I make tacos, I think of the South Park episode where Cartman's hand was possessed by Jennifer Lopez. I don't have time to explain. Look it up.

So on to Martha's Fish Tacos made with tilapia.



First of all, I went to see The Proposal today. It was funny and sweet and well, hello.......



Enough said on that...

This trip to Publix, which bills itself as "Where shopping is a pleasure," but is, in reality, "where shopping is a big, fat pain in my ass," was actually less than painful. This trip. I was able to find everything I needed. Amazingly enough. Including the fish and the stuff I needed to make the red cabbage slaw.

(As an aside, cabbage always reminds me of a funny story about Jenny. When we still lived together, I emailed her during the day and asked what she wanted/needed from the grocery store, as I was going after work. She said lettuce, as the head of lettuce in the drawer tasted funny. Now, head lettuce is not something I buy often. There is really no health benefit to it at all, other than extra water. Then it hit me... I typed back, "If you mean the head of lettuce in the left hand drawer, that is cabbage." I had made the Weight Watcher vegetable soup the week before, which called for cabbage. She emailed back, "OH, no wonder it tasted funny."
"You ate it?
"Yeah, I made a salad with it, and put it on my sandwich."
"And it didn't strike you as thick or weird?"
"Well, it tasted weird."
This story wouldn't be as funny if Jenny hadn't been a hotel/restaurant management major in college who took more than a couple cooking classes.)


OK, back to the present. Fish tacos with a red cabbage slaw. Isn't it pretty, all chopped up?



OH, and, since it's a fun dish like tacos, that calls for a fun beverage. It's not Mexican or Spanish, but it's good, and that is what really matters.



Soooo, in addition to red cabbage, the slaw also includes scallions and a jalapeno pepper, cut in half length-wise. Half the pepper is diced for the slaw and the other half is left whole. I always use baggies on my hands when handling jalapenos, to keep the oils off my fingers.



I scooped out the pith and some of the seeds before dicing it up and tossing it in with the cabbage and scallions. The heat is in the seeds and, like I've said before, I like a bit of heat in my food. So with the veggies, I mix in the sauce, which is fat-free sour cream (Martha says low-fat, but I always use the fat-free) and lime juice. Looks tasty, and it does have a nice bite.



Then I slice up the fish, which is meant to be cooked in my skillet with some olive oil and the other half of the jalapeno. I made sure to rub the pepper all around, to spread the flavor, and I had left the pith and seeds in that side, so... yum...
In went the fish in two batches.



This is the second batch. Now, I don't know that kind of pixie dust and magic fairy farts Martha uses to make it all look super pretty in her pictures. I know she must have someone using Photoshop like nobody's business, because my fish didn't look like it did in the book, but it sure was tasty!!! Oh, and you drizzle a little of the extra sour cream/lime juice sauce on top, along with some chopped cilantro.



Ole!

The Taco Kisses for Everyone playlist (I must admit, not a shiny happy taco list):
Stay By Me Annie Lennox
Wuthering Heights Kate Bush (My favorite book, I must admit)
Someone Air Supply (I am not remotely embarrassed that I have the greatest hits of Air Supply on my iPod.)
I Know Him By Heart Vonda Shepard
This Land is Mine Dido
I've Changed (Alternate Version) Josh Joplin Group
Hideous Towns The Sundays
Goodnight, Goodnight Maroon 5
Vertigo U2
Sorry Madonna
New York Minute Don Henley
Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough Patty Smyth and Don Henley
Let's Go Crazy Prince and the Revolution (Dearly beloved... we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life...)
Love Song The Cure
Rhymin and Stealin Beastie Boys (Because mutiny on the bounty's what we're all about...)
Not An Addict K's Choice (We're so creative, we're so much more...)
The Flag Barenaked Ladies
You're Not the Only One That I Know The Sundays (What is the harm of talking out loud when I'm on my own....)
The Night is Still Young Billy Joel (You think his marriage splitting up has something to do with the fact that she's 27 and he's fucking 60?!?!?!)

No comments: