Sunday, June 1, 2008

Let's Hear it for the Girls

Like countless other women, this weekend I saw Sex and the City. I was lucky enough to be invited to a special screening on Friday night, complete with cosmos and nibbles and gift bags!

I can sum it up in one word—Champagne!

From the moment the glittering title flashed on the screen until the last cosmo was downed, it was a delicious bubbly glass of great Champagne. (If you don't want to know anymore about what happens, stop reading.)

It stayed true to the characters we have come to know like they were are own best girlfriends. There were even moments when I broke out of my SATC excitement to say "What the fuck is she wearing?" about some of Carrie's outfits, just like when I watched the show. I will say, more winners than losers on her fashion dance card this time around.

There were some sad moments. In true Mr. Big style, he was a cowardly dick at the worst possible moment. When Carrie beat him with her bouquet, she was doing it for all of us. There was loud cheering in my theater as lilies and roses exploded on his stupid head.

And, of course, she had her girlfriends to rally around her; to pick her up and help her realize that it would get better. And it did. To the screaming delight of every girl in the theater (and the bawling hysterics of some drunk girl at the end of our row. At least I hope she was drunk....)

I really hope I look as good as Samantha when I am 50 (You rock, Kim!) Stamford and Anthony??? Woo hoo! That was a fun shock! And I totally felt for Charlotte. When I was in Mexico, I kept my mouth shut tight in the shower for just that reason. Her confrontation with Big was hilarious. Although my big line would have been a bit different than her "I curse the day you were born." My line would go along the lines of "Fuck you, you fuckity fuck." But Charlotte is a lady, and I am not.

The only part that I didn't really like was the whole Miranda/Steve thing. I don't like Steve anyway. He's a weird, twitchy dork. I didn't like how the series ended for Miranda. She wasn't herself anymore, the Miranda we'd known through the course of the show. She had changed her whole personality and moved to Brooklyn for him. So in the movie, Steve admitting he slept with someone else kind of came out of left field.

And it was a little long, at more than two hours, but it felt like every scene was needed to move the plot along. Nothing had me thinking "why are we watching this happen."

All in all, it was a wonderful way to say a final good-bye to our favorite fictional girlfriends, and a way to make us appreciate the girlfriends we really have (and in my case, to miss them terribly, but Kara and I dished on Saturday after she saw it, so that felt better.) I loved the delicious Champagne that was this movie. I might have to go back for another glass!

No comments: