Friday, February 22, 2008

Do you believe in miracles?


YES!
Today is another one of those anniversaries I talked about before, only a really good one. Today marks the 28th anniversary of the "Miracle on Ice," when the original Dream Team, the U.S. Hockey team, defeated the world-champion team from the Soviet Union in the 1980 Winter Olympics, 4-3.

I still get tears in my eyes when I think about it, and hear Al Michaels ask that famous question. They showed the movie, Miracle on ABC last weekend, with Kurt Russell starring as coach Herb Brooks. It's a terrific movie that didn't get the attention at awards time like it should of. (Come on, it's not hard to win a Golden Globe!) The camera work during the game sequence is excellent and exciting. I saw it in the theater twice, and even though we all knew the outcome, everyone in the theater reacted like we were watching a live game.

And, of course, I bought the DVD the day it came out.

They weren't supposed to win that game. Hell, the same Soviet team had humiliated them only a couple weeks earlier, 10-3. They were just a bunch of college kids and amateurs, and the powerhouse Soviet team had been playing together for years. But with the hard-handed coaching style of Brooks, the U.S. team grew stronger physically and mentally and became a true team. And having the American people behind them, rooting for them at the Olympics, was the last push they needed to conquer their Goliath.

I highly recommend Miracle, if you haven't seen it. And if you have, watch it again. I defy anyone not to get teary eyed listening to Al Michaels' excitement, which echoed the excitement of the nation.

I do believe.

No comments: